Blogger's Diary-The boys who made me BELIEVE.

Join a church program,be active in church. As a growing girl, it’s important you do”My dad yelled at me. In 2003, I was studying for my Diploma in Law in UniJos, and he wanted me to spend any spare time doing God's work. He didn't want the University community to corrupt his 17yr old ...An idle mind is the devil’s workshop right?

So, I decided to join the most fun of all groups. The Saint Murumba’s youth Club.
St Murumba Catholic Church was a favorite of most youths. It was situated in the most popular All boys school in Jos(St Murumba college).The most handsome & Talented boys were there.(Ask MI & Mikel Obi)



So there I was heading back to Church around 4pm on a weekday for my first meeting as a member of the Youth club. We were using one of the open classrooms reserved for that purpose.
As I got to the block, I heard the sound of music. A blend of Usher.. And who again? Can’t recall. It sure didn’t sound Christian. Well, it’s a youth club, we can dance to RnB in the Lord right? Yippie

I hastened my steps towards the classroom and as I got to the door, I saw them. Two handsome dark boys stood out. They were dancing vigorously .I was taken aback as I scanned the room and noticed other young boys dancing alongside them. There were two girls too. One caught my attention because she was so beautiful and light skinned.

Thinking I was in the wrong class, I was about to turn around when I heard a familiar voice “Emeh, Emeh is that you”? I turned around and saw Innocent, my secondary school classmate. He was so light skinned and handsome. I used to have a crush on him. I was embarrassed. My dad made it a duty to clean my face with a black cloth to see if there were any possible traces of white powder (Mary Kay wasn't existing then..Lol).God help me if he saw makeup on my face.. So, here I was, wearing this big skirt, dusty legs and shiny Vaseline face . 
“Emeh what are you doing here”? Innocent said obviously pleased to see me. “Errm, I’m here for Youth club, our meeting is at 4 and I think I have the wrong place” Oh no you are in the right place. I’m now a dancer for my friends in there. We are rehearsing for a video .They will soon come and chase us from here”.
Who? I was just about to inquire when I saw the Youth leader charging towards us with anger” He brushed past us into the classroom and ordered them to take their worldly music out of there”. I watched with interest as they reluctantly started parking, their old radio set, sweating bodies and all.
Innocent obviously had to join the rest of the team and told me to come over to watch him dance the next day. I was thrilled. I wanted to see those two boys who had piqued my interest. Who knows, Innocent could get me into the video.
After they left, our youth leader spent 30 minutes, lambasting these boys and why they were failures and would never make it. He warned us not to learn from miscreants like that. They were a disgrace to society. Micheal Jackson wannabe's He said
Despite my Youth leader’s warnings, the next day I hurried over to the school earlier than our meeting commenced, so I could watch them dance.
I got there around three and the same group of people were there. The same girls too. Innocent signaled at me to come in and sit. I walked in shyly and no one noticed the little girl with the big skirt and shiny face. I felt invincible. I watched one of the boys come over to the light skinned girl as she gave him a towel to clean his face. I wanted to be like those girls who were friends with these cute boys who looked just like Usher. Even if it meant giving them a bottle of water.
I watched them dance so smooth, I watched them sweat, I watched the dedication in their eyes. 

During a short break, Innocent walked up to me and he told me his friends were very talented guys who had given up everything for music. Even got disowned by their father .He said they were going to be as big in Africa as Micheal Jackson was to the world. He said they had just won a competition and this was going to be the first video for it.
I told him entertainment doesn't pay. Nigerians don’t listen to our songs, definitely not songs with a foreign touch” They will make Nigerians listen” he said with a smile
I didn't bother to ask who their names were. I was already enthralled.

As he went back to join them for another bout of dancing, my Youth leader and the rest of my club members came. He was yelling at them for using the classroom and depriving us of the opportunity to do God’s work. I watched them park up their stuff once again and leave.

All through the meeting, I couldn't concentrate. I just wanted to be like them. I came there a few times. I was too shy to go into the class, so I would hide and watch them dance and say to myself” I’m going to be a star someday.I’m not going to be this invincible girl hiding by the windows, watching these handsome guys dance. I’m going to be the girl to hold the towel for them to wipe their sweat(lol how silly)

A few months later, I was watching the TV with my Beloved dad. It was the KORA Awards and I saw those guys, the same ones I saw dancing in that dirty classroom,there they were in South Africa, on TV dancing to the same music I heard, the same steps I saw.
I yelled..Daddy, I know those boys, I know them. Who are they? My dad said ,slightly surprised”Well..erm I don’t know their names”..Then I heard the presenter say “That’s Psquare from Nigeria”That song was Senorita from their debut album, Last Nite 
Damn! Psquare!! And my dreams changed, I didn't want to be the towel girl anymore,I was going to be that girl who makes a crowd erupt in cheers when I step on stage. I was going to be that girl, who would say..they said I wouldn't make it..but I did.
Daddy, can I be a musician? The look on my dad’s face was enough to make me say “You know I was Joking daddy”
You had better be joking, because I’ll disown you if you dare.My dad replied ..He was a bookaholic and would have it no other way..

 Psquare’s dad did the same. Look at them now..I said smiling to myself (of course, my dad didn't hear that).I was going to be an entertainer..I didn't care how...Blogging,writing is still entertainment right?

Who said dreams don't come true..You just need that person to make you BELIEVE
You have read this article with the title Blogger's Diary-The boys who made me BELIEVE.. You can bookmark this page URL http://scenesfromahomeoffice.blogspot.com/2013/09/blogger-diary-boys-who-made-me-believe.html. Thanks!